The era of reclaiming medicine and empowering people to be active participants in their health in partnership with their physicians has come and with it the need for a new, updated oath.
Dr. Kat Lindley and the World Council for Health Ethics Committee created this oath, Oath of a Medicus for use by the World Council for Health and beyond. Medicus is the Latin word for healer. The oath, taken by all medical and health professionals on the steering committee of the World Council for Health, highlights the need for all medical and health professionals to come together and stand alongside the patients on their lifelong journeys of wellness and healing.
- I solemnly promise to apply regimens of treatment or recommendations to the best of my ability and judgment for the benefit of those in my care, while protecting them from harm and injustice
- I promise to protect and enhance through my best endeavors the health and well-being of all humans in my care
- I promise to respect the autonomy and dignity of all living beings
- I promise to be honest and maintain the high standards of professional integrity
- I promise to honor and respect my colleagues and to uphold the noble traditions of my profession
- I promise to be diligent in advancing my professional knowledge and skills to benefit those I help and treat
- I promise to attend to my own health and well-being in order to be able to provide care of the highest standard to others
- I promise to protect the confidentiality and privacy of those for whom I have the privilege of caring
- I promise to seek counsel of differently and highly skilled professionals where indicated for the benefit of those for whom I care
- I promise never to discriminate against those for whom I care, including on the basis of age, race, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion or belief, political affiliation, sexual orientation or social standing
- I promise that I will neither treat anyone nor carry out any research on any human being without the valid informed consent of the subject or the appropriate lawful protector thereof
- I promise that I will never use my expertise or medical knowledge to violate human rights or civil liberties, even under threat to myself
I make these promises solemnly, freely, and upon my honor.
Dr. Maria Hubmer-Mogg
Dr. Katarina Lindley
Dr. Mark Trozzi
Dr. Jennifer Hibberd
Christof Plothe D.O.
Dr. Tess Lawrie
World Council for Health Ethics Committee